Elephant Retirement Park - Two days
The Elephant Retirement Park has been established to create a haven for retired elephants. Formally working in building yards, it is now illegal to use elephants for labor. This has drastically altered their function in Thai society.
The camps founder Adulwit Khamya has created a sustainable habitat for the elephants to live in a safe and natural environment free from profiteering and neglect. At the elephant park family units are never separated and herbal medicines are used to keep the animals healthy, so they can enjoy a better quality of life.
At the Elephant Retirement Park we are proud of our strict policy on the treatment of our elephants. There is no riding or beating of any kind.
The sole focus of the Elephant Retirement Park is to promote the wellbeing of retired elephants. Visitors and volunteers to the park can expect an enjoyable and rewarding experience working with the local mahout people to care for these majestic symbols of strength and peace.
Children younger than 8 years get a 50% discount.
Itinerary & Practicalities
price: 5000 THB (Minimum 2 persons)
- Pick up from your hotel between 8:00 – 8:30 AM
- Return to your hotel around 5 PM the next day
- Drive for 1 hour to Elephant Retirement Park
- Introduction about our park and the elephants
- Feed the elephants, get to know them and enjoy their company
- Observe how we make herbal medicine for our elephants
- Traditional Thai buffet lunch
- Change clothing and go for a mud spa and swimming with the elephants
- Fresh up and watch the elephants live their daily life and enjoy the beautiful scenery
- In the evening learn how to prepare and administer Thai herbal medicine
- Watch the sunset around the campfire and enjoy a traditional Thai barbecue
- Spend the night at Elephant Retirement Park
- Start the day with breakfast
- Walk with the elephants to get their morning drink
- Study how to harvest grass, teak tree leaves, bark and bamboo while the elephants roam around
- Traditional Thai lunch buffet
- Walk with the elephants to the bathing area
- Bathe and brush the elephants
- Say goodbye to the elephants and staff and drive back to Chiang Mai
- Return to your hotel around 5 PM
Included in the price: Transportation, English speaking guide, lunch, water, photography, dinner, breakfast and overnight stay.
What to bring: Swimming gear, towel, toothbrush, extra set of clothes, sunscreen and mosquito spray.