The Elephant Retirement Park has been established to create a haven for retired elephants. Formally working in building yards, it is now illegal to use elephants for labor. This has drastically altered their function in Thai society.
The camps founder Adulwit Khamya has created a sustainable habitat for the elephants to live in a safe and natural environment free from profiteering and neglect. At the elephant park family units are never separated and herbal medicines are used to keep the animals healthy, so they can enjoy a better quality of life.
At the Elephant Retirement Park we are proud of our strict policy on the treatment of our elephants. There is no riding or beating of any kind.
The sole focus of the Elephant Retirement Park is to promote the wellbeing of retired elephants. Visitors and volunteers to the park can expect an enjoyable and rewarding experience working with the local mahout people to care for these majestic symbols of strength and peace.
Itinerary & Practicalities
Price: 1700 THB
- Pick up from your hotel between 7:00 – 7:30 AM
- Drive for 1 hour to Elephant Retirement Park
- Introduction about our park and the elephants
- Feed the elephants, get to know them and enjoy their company
- Observe how we make herbal medicine for our elephants
- Enjoy mud spa and shower with the elephants
- Drive back to Chiang Mai
- Return to your hotel around 1:00 PM
Included in price: transportation, English speaking guide, water, photography.
What to bring: Swimming gear, towel, sunscreen and mosquito spray.